Girl Power in Social Media


By Julie D. Sanders, Director of Client Services at Xapsis Integrated Marketing  

I was pretty pleased with my first blog about Pinterest, the social media site that is exploding all over the web.  Then the male members of Xapsis were giving me a hard time by saying that Pinterest is for girls.   I, of course, began to school them in the inherit values of the site and how it might change the world.  Who am I kidding I said something like, “Nuh, uh” and sulked away.


So I went to the man who never lies to me, Mr. Google. Turns out that the X chromosomes of the office were right (relish that because I may never say that again).  A quick search shows that right now the demographics of Pinterest site is made up of about 82% women, according to Google Ad Planner.

That got me thinking, is social media a woman’s game? Mashable.com confirmed to me that in general women are engaging more on most social sites, including on Facebook and Twitter. Women are the majority of social networking users, and spend 30% more time on sites than men. Plus, mobile social network usage is 55% female, according to Nielsen.

Apparently social networks give women a voice, a soapbox to stand on and a place to connect.   A voice that is now being not only heard but listened to. This is the same voice that may have struggled to be heard before these venues. Social media has become a place to meet other women with the same interests and develop business opportunities. And these women aren’t just talking about shoes and babies, social networks are giving female entrepreneurs a place to nurture and grow their ideas and businesses.

What’s the lesson to learn from this? Besides Girls Rule Social Media! Advertisers and businesses have a readymade audience of women that are waiting to hear about your products. Are you getting what I’m saying? If you put this in a real world scenario it would be like a football stadium full of pre-qualified and interested consumers waiting to hear more about your business. Pretty cool, huh!

So if you are looking to speak to women consumers, your audience is waiting.  What are you waiting for?  Start using your social media to engage your audience today!

P.S. I know this great little company called Xapsis that could help you with a strategic social media plan.