Are You On Board With Halloween Spending


By Molly Grane - Marketing Support at Xapsis Integrated Marketing 


Last Friday, I decided to take on a venture of my own.  I drove to the Halloween store to pick up the last few costume objects needed for my son.  Driving into the parking lot, I was shocked by the amount of cars, hoping they were at Toys R’ Us next door.  It just so happens, I was wrong.  Of course, everyone was packed into the very cramped Halloween store, just where I was heading.  I couldn't believe the amount of people!!!  Did Halloween become the new Christmas, in terms of spending?

Growing up, costumes were typically made or put together by non-other than my mother, but we have changed our mindset over the years.  “It’s just easier to pick up a costume from the local store than to search around or sew your Halloween costume.”  I’ll have to admit, my mindset was the same this year.  I happened to add a particularly big amount this this Halloween spending.  Why?  Because I fell into the power of Halloween Marketing and I was on the hunt for inspiration.

Did you know that the average spending per person for candy, decorations, and costumes is up to $79.82, compared to last years $72.31.  That’s a whopping $7.51 difference.   Yes, this number might look small, but think of this number in terms of per household, per town, city, or state, then times that number by how many Americans live in the United States.  You’ll then see that number isn't quite so small. 

Along with the amount being spent, we can see that social media has played a huge part of this particular holiday.  While stores still hold the biggest power for Halloween costume ideas, social media platforms have also made the charts.  7% of costume ideas came from Pinterest and 15% from Facebook.  As Halloween has been climbing the charts with social media, this is the perfect time for companies to jump on board.  With time, we’ll continue to see these numbers stay on the rise.  So keep pushing those cute pumpkin baby photos, and how we can turn hot dogs into mummy’s.  We’re all looking for a little inspiration out there.



“Witchful Spending: Americans Aren't Spooked to Spend on Halloween”  milo.com   31 Oct 2012. 10 Oct. 2012. <http://milo.com/blog/witchful-spending/>.